The National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 established the National Historic Preservation Program. The principal elements of this program are identification, assistance and protect. The Act also created the National Register of Historic Places, the federal government list of significant historic places. Amendments to the Act in 1976 and 1982 provided financial incentives to private owners linked to the National Register listing.
Blanchard does not have any registered federal or state historic places. However, the City Council took steps in the adoption of Resolution No. 2014-29 on December 16, 2014, by placing three (3) structures on a local preservation list. They are:
Virtual Tour Old Methodist Church was built in 1930. The church building is 2,500 SF and located at 300 North Main Street. OU's School of Architecture accepted the project to conduct a class project. The City Council issued revenue bonds in 2014 for the renovations of the building based on the conceptual design by OU. A contract was issued in November of 2014 with Hughes Construction to refurbish the building for use by the City as the Council/Court Chambers. It was completed in August 2015. Richard Starks, Architect, with Prairie Rock Architects designed the specific renovations.
Old Blanchard City Hall was built in 1909. The building is located at 114 West Broadway. In the early part of the 20th Century, the building was used as the McClain County Northern District Courthouse. The building also furnished a jail. Major renovations are currently under way to preserve the building to be used as a historical museum, possible chamber office and meeting locations for local groups. Hughes Construction is the local contractor and PRA serves as the architect for the project.
Old City Elevated Water Tower was built in 1926. The Town's Board of Trustees issued their second general obligation bond in 1925 for waterworks construction which included a 60,000 gallon storage facility. The tower still stands and is located at 114 West Broadway.